Thursday 30 January 2014

Banana Loaf

I made this cake last night because I discovered three black banana’s at the bottom of the fruit bowl. Over the years I have tried loads of different banana cakes and breads but I always come back to this one. It is best if the bananas are really over ripe (a good week after the children have refused to go near them is a good rule of thumb). About half the loaf went into school today to sustain Josh through a water polo tournament. In the past I have added chocolate chips to the mix and think walnuts would make a good addition. However Josh is allergic to walnuts so I have never tried this.

  • 225 grams of self raising flour
  • 100 grams of soft butter (it has to be really soft but not melted)
  • 4 very ripe bananas
  • 30 grams of soft dark sugar
  • 4 table spoons of golden syrup
  • 4 eggs


Use an eclectic whisk or food mixer to whiz up all the ingredients. Pour into a loaf tin. I use a silicon loaf tin which I don’t need to line or grease. If you don’t have one of these you need to grease the tin with butter and line it with grease proof paper.

Cook in a hot oven at 180 degrees for about 50 minutes. Check the oven after about 40 minutes, if it looks like it might burn cover it with a bit of silver foil and keep cooking.

1 comment:

  1. I love this and its even better with the chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete